Drones were initially associated with Military and war.
They were used as unmanned aerial vehicles for attacking and spying on terrorists.
- But in the past few years, drones are being used for other purposes like Capturing Live Events, Filming Commercials and Movies, and even Delivering small items.
- There is one more way of using drones that is catching up like wild fire – recreational purpose.
- With small drones designed specifically for recreational purposes, it has sparked the interest in kids.
- But it is a tough task to select drones for kids as it involves many aspects like stability, durability, ease of use, safety and finally, the price.
It is very important to categorize the drones based on the factors so that it would be easy to choose the best drones for kids. Let us discuss some of those factors.
Best Drones for Kids for 2017
- Price: Price is the first and foremost factor. Kids get used to the toys in a matter of two weeks or so, and after that, the toys are just tossed into the closet. Spending too much on a drone for pure recreational purpose needs a lot of thought in terms of the money spent.
- Stability: No parent wants their children to crash their newly bought toy in no time. The drone they buy should offer some stability and should have an ability to make its own correction. It is better to check on the Gyroscope while buying a drone for kids.
- Durability: The material and design should be durable enough for rough use. While elders have the tendency to take care of their belongings more carefully, kids are more careless than adults.
- It is important that their drone withstand the wear and tear. Also, many copters come with guards to protect the drones from getting damaged from collision with other objects.
- Ease of Use: The copters should have adjustments for control sensitivity. This would enable them to alter the sensitivity of the controls for further fine tuning. Also, options for Learner modes would be an added advantage as they help with the learning process.
- Spare Parts Availability: When the kids start learning to fly the drone, they would certainly crash the drone a few times. It is hence important that the drone comes with spare parts. Even if not, the getting the spare parts from market shouldn’t be a problem.
- Location of Use: Are the kids going to fly the copter indoor or outdoor? The selection of the drone is also dependent on this factor. A small copter is enough to fly it indoors. But a drone that needs to fly outdoors should have some characteristics, especially to withstand the weather conditions.
Akaso X5C’s quality is unmatchable and the price is also affordable.
- Built-in 6-axis gyro quad-rotor: strong stability, can easily implement various flight movements, stronger wind resistance, easier to control
- 360-degree Flip: Just press the key, and you got 360-degree Flip, continuous roll for perfect action and wonderful performance
- Solider protection: the propeller blades are protected by high quality plastic blade frames which decrease impacts from collision
- Built-in HD camera: allows recording video or taking images. Capture your friends and family from aerial view shots and see the world from a new angle. The AKASO X5C is controlled by a 2.4GHz transmitter, which is interference-free. It will not be interfered by other quadcopters
- Built-in LED light: Flashing LED lights enables good flight experience at night.
For the price, it offers many features like the camera for capturing photos and video, LED lights, microSD card and protectors.
The UDI 818A HD + RC Quadcopter is a well-known and durable product in the kid’s drone category.
- 720P HD CAMERA DRONE: One of our best drones with camera for adults and kids; 4GB Micro SD card and reader let the drone camera capture and store RC drone images
- EASY DRONE FOR KIDS AND ADULTS: Engage 1-button flips and fly RC quadcopter drone at 2 speeds; LED lights flash when battery is low - a great drone for beginners feature
- SUPER STABLE CAMERA DRONE FOR BEGINNERS: 6-axis gyro enables smooth drone camera footage; Headless Mode orients the RC drone to the pilot's position
- BONUS DRONE BATTERY + POWER BANK: Fly your remote control drone for up to 18 minutes of flight per charge; RC drone power bank stores and recharges drone battery power
- QUALITY ASSURED: Fly happy! We'll provide a full refund if you're not 100% tickled pink with one of our top drones for adults, kids and everyone in between
Priced at around $100, the design of this drone has been kept simple and crash ready.
So, as a parent, it is easy to fix this copter without much struggle.
The Holy Stone HS170 Mini Quadcopter Drone is little but is fierce.
It doesn’t have a camera but is certainly a budget-friendly drone suitable for recreational purposes and allows for spectacular stunts.
It is also smooth while flying.
There are three settings (from easy to professional level) to adjust the remote’s responsiveness for the kids’ practices. Read the full review HERE
All the three products selected above are fit for kids who want to master flying drones. Other than the flying factors, kids should also know few tips on operating these drones.
- Wind can make a change in the flying of drones. Developing an intuitive sense on the movement of the drones help in flying even during windy days.
- GPS and Home returning functions are very useful at the beginning of the learning to fly.
- Kids should be able to repair small problems using the spare parts available.
- It is always better to have spare batteries as all the drones have a battery life under 10 minutes. With a bunch of batteries in hand, the flight time is increased.
Drones are certainly going to become more advanced in the future. The best drones for kids are available in the market in 2016. There are many models of drones that are in movement in the market. But the above models are the reviewed based on the performance, price and suitability for kids.
Buy these drones and the kids are surely going to enjoy the flying experience!