Drones were initially associated with Military and war.
They were used as unmanned aerial vehicles for attacking and spying on terrorists.
- But in the past few years, drones are being used for other purposes like Capturing Live Events, Filming Commercials and Movies, and even Delivering small items.
- There is one more way of using drones that is catching up like wild fire – recreational purpose.
- With small drones designed specifically for recreational purposes, it has sparked the interest in kids.
- But it is a tough task to select drones for kids as it involves many aspects like stability, durability, ease of use, safety and finally, the price.
It is very important to categorize the drones based on the factors so that it would be easy to choose the best drones for kids. Let us discuss some of those factors.
- Price: Price is the first and foremost factor. Kids get used to the toys in a matter of two weeks or so, and after that, the toys are just tossed into the closet. Spending too much on a drone for pure recreational purpose needs a lot of thought in terms of the money spent.
- Stability: No parent wants their children to crash their newly bought toy in no time. The drone they buy should offer some stability and should have an ability to make its own correction. It is better to check on the Gyroscope while buying a drone for kids.
- Durability: The material and design should be durable enough for rough use. While elders have the tendency to take care of their belongings more carefully, kids are more careless than adults.
- It is important that their drone withstand the wear and tear. Also, many copters come with guards to protect the drones from getting damaged from collision with other objects.
- Ease of Use: The copters should have adjustments for control sensitivity. This would enable them to alter the sensitivity of the controls for further fine tuning. Also, options for Learner modes would be an added advantage as they help with the learning process.
- Spare Parts Availability: When the kids start learning to fly the drone, they would certainly crash the drone a few times. It is hence important that the drone comes with spare parts. Even if not, the getting the spare parts from market shouldn’t be a problem.
- Location of Use: Are the kids going to fly the copter indoor or outdoor? The selection of the drone is also dependent on this factor. A small copter is enough to fly it indoors. But a drone that needs to fly outdoors should have some characteristics, especially to withstand the weather conditions.
Based on the above factors, the list of drones has come down to three.
Best Drones for Kids for 2016
|1||Akaso X5C 4CH 2.4GHz 6-Axis Gyro|
|2||UDI 818A HD+ RC Quadcopter HD|
|3||Holy Stone HS170 Predator Mini RC|
The above drones are one of the best drones for kids based on the discussed factors. Here is the comparison table to make the choice easier.
Table of Comparison
|Drones for Kids – 2016||Akaso X5C 4CH 2.4GHz 6-Axis Gyro||UDI 818A HD+ RC Quadcopter HD||Holy Stone HS170 Predator Mini RC|
|Flight Time||7 minutes||9 minutes||8 minutes|
|Appropriate Age for Use||8+||14+||14+|
|Range||300 Feet||300 Feet||160 Feet|
|Weight||2.89 oz.||0.35 lbs||14 oz.|
|Size||11.8” * 11.8” * 5”||13” * 13” * 3”||5” * 5” * 1.5”|
|Charge Time||60 mins||100 mins||70 mins|
|Accessories||MicroSD card, Blades Propellers included||6 extra Batteries, 12 extra propeller blades, Hard shell carrying case||5 extra batteries, 20 propeller replacements, Rapid battery charger|
|Amazon Price||Low price!||Low price!||Low price!|
|Key Features||1. 6-axis gyro quad rotor for stability
2. Interference free transmitter
3. LEDs for night flying
4. HD Camera
5. Frames for propeller protection
6. 360-degree flip feature
7. Affordable Price
|1. Good 6-axis stabilization
2. Robust Design and bumpers for protecting propellers
3. LEDs for night flying
4. HD camera
5. Return home functionality
6. 360-degree flip feature
|1. Stable and easy to fly
2. Adjustable sensitivity
3. Affordable price
4. Good Propeller Guards
5. Small and light
6. Excellent choice for beginners
|Best Suited For||Indoor and Outdoor||Indoor and Outdoor||Indoor and Outdoor. Suited most for Indoor due to its small size.|
Best 3 Products – Description
Akaso X5C’s quality is unmatchable and the price is also affordable.
For the price, it offers many features like the camera for capturing photos and video, LED lights, microSD card and protectors.
The UDI 818A HD + RC Quadcopter is a well-known and durable product in the kid’s drone category.
Priced at around $100, the design of this drone has been kept simple and crash ready.
So, as a parent, it is easy to fix this copter without much struggle.
The Holy Stone HS170 Mini Quadcopter Drone is little but is fierce.
It doesn’t have a camera but is certainly a budget-friendly drone suitable for recreational purposes and allows for spectacular stunts.
It is also smooth while flying.
There are three settings (from easy to professional level) to adjust the remote’s responsiveness for the kids’ practices. Read the full review HERE
All the three products selected above are fit for kids who want to master flying drones. Other than the flying factors, kids should also know few tips on operating these drones.
- Wind can make a change in the flying of drones. Developing an intuitive sense on the movement of the drones help in flying even during windy days.
- GPS and Home returning functions are very useful at the beginning of the learning to fly.
- Kids should be able to repair small problems using the spare parts available.
- It is always better to have spare batteries as all the drones have a battery life under 10 minutes. With a bunch of batteries in hand, the flight time is increased.
Drones are certainly going to become more advanced in the future. The best drones for kids are available in the market in 2016. There are many models of drones that are in movement in the market. But the above models are the reviewed based on the performance, price and suitability for kids.
Buy these drones and the kids are surely going to enjoy the flying experience!